Stanley Your Blogging Host

Stanley Your Blogging Host

Friday, November 18, 2011

About that diet...

As mentioned in one of my earlier entries, Tom & Donna feed me a lot of raw food. Mostly, chicken, but sometimes I get other cool things to eat.

I like almost any kind of meat, and I do love peas.

On one visit to the Vet, way back when I was just a little pup (actually, I was never really little) I overheard Dr. Waldeck tell Tom & Donna that raw food was much better for me than the processed food.

She pointed out that us canines survived for thousands of years in the wild eating raw food. We didn't cook a rabbit or a pheasant on a campfire. Not that I would pass up a nicely cooked bird! Remember Donna's chicken dinner that I snatched? MMMMMmmmmmmmm Mmmm!

Most people are afraid that their dog will choke on a chicken bone or something, but I heard that we only have a problem if the bird is cooked. Then, the bones may splinter. Raw bones aren't a problem.

I just wish I would find a wishbone, so, I could wish for another piece of chicken. Mostly, I just get the legs and thighs. Not that I'm complaining.

Humans also have a thing with bacteria, etc. Us dogs are built to handle that. Actually, some of the crap they put in dog food would really make you barf.

Just to prove my point, I googled dog food and came up with this gem:

"Meat products not intended for human consumption, such as inedible tissues, condemned portions of carcasses, and entire carcasses of condemned animals (eg, animals found to be dead, dying, disabled, or diseased at the time of slaughter), are also used for dog food. Because of the inherent nature of these products and the less stringent handling requirements, compared with products approved for human consumption, these products may contain high levels of bacterial contamination." (LeJuene, J.T. and D.D. Hancock. 2001. Public health concerns associated with feeding raw meat diets to dogs. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 219(9): 1222.)

Not fit for human consumption, and they pass it off to us bow wows?

Talking about barfing...

Actually, some people put their dogs on the B.A.R.F. diet. That stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food. It might make humans barf, but it makes me bark!

Donna says the raw meat is actually cheaper than buying the big bags of processed food. She says I also seem less wired when I am not eating the regular dog food. Just fill my dish twice a day. That's all I ask.

Well, I wish I could say all this talk about food has made me hungry, but actually, I am feeling a little woozy. Time for a nap!

Woof! Woof!
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment