Stanley Your Blogging Host

Stanley Your Blogging Host

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Stop and smell the roses...

Bow Wow! It's been a long time since I wrote my blog. Tom has been so busy, you know. If it's not making pierogies, it's some other thing.

I must say, he has been taking me on walks more often, these days. I don't know if he has more time, or if it's just because the weather has been nicer.

Most of the time, we go to our favorite spot, Nolde Forest. The other day we saw a bunch of turtles at the Painted Turtle Pond, there. We saw loads of them. Tom wouldn't let me go in the water, though. I don't know why not?

A few times we have gone to the park over in Wyomissing. That place is pretty huge also. It's a lot different than Nolde. I really have to be on my leash there. They have signs, you know. I hate that. I can really sniff to my heart's content when I can roam on my own.

Tom was watching some dog program on TV the other day, and I heard the guy say that when us dogs hang our heads out the window of a car we are looking at the entire world through our nose. That's true, you know. I love to take in all the different smells.

When Tom takes me out in the yard I could just stand there an smell and smell and smell. Actually, sometimes I do. I think it annoys him.

I smell the grass. I smell the flowers. I smell the fence where the neighbor's dog, Eddy, took a pee. I smell for old bones I buried. I smell this. I smell that. I smell everything. They say our sense of smell is 80 times greater than a human's. That can be quite a skill.

Along the trail sniffing and smelling can really come in handy. I can smell when a field mouse or squirrel has been by lately, or whether a Spaniel or a Great Dane has passed through.

They also say that our ancestors, the wolves, have been known to mark a territory from 100 to 300 square miles. That's a lot of turf!

Tom also gets mad when I roll in something I've found on the ground. In case you didn't know it, that's to pick-up a scent that let's other dogs know where I've been. Bet you didn't know that!

My advice to you, stop and smell the roses, or anything else for that matter.

Well, I think I hear the vacuum cleaner running, so, I think I'll go take it's head off. I hate that thing! Grrrrrrrrrr! Grrrrrrrrrrr!

See ya later!
Ruff! Ruff!
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment